Report to: Advocacy and External Engagement Lead
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The purpose of this position is to strategically lead and manage World Vision Eswatini’s Communications and public engagement across a range of business areas in order to position World Vision as a leading and credible humanitarian leader in Eswatini. The Communications and Campaigns Manager will provide strategic leadership and develop an equipped professional team that creates and drives awareness through gathering and disseminating accurate and consistent information in response to key audience needs. Expected results will be increased awareness of, and advocacy for World Vision Eswatini’s programmes, campaigns and strategy, mutual transformation for key groups, and contributing to increased financial support of World Vision Eswatini’s, all to help deepen the organisation’s impact, influence and commitment to the most vulnerable children and their families. He / she will position, build the profile and manage the reputation of the Eswatini National office via government, UN, peer agency engagement and media. The manager will provide supervision to the Communications and Campaigns officer and the Branding and Social Media Officer and provide dotted line technical support to the office of the National Director.
Leadership, Strategy & Knowledge Management:
- Lead ongoing development of World Vision Eswatini’s communications strategy and business plans, in alignment with and support to corresponding regional and global communications strategies and priorities.
- Lead and guide the implementation of strategic communications for effective public positioning of World Vision’s ministry and leadership in Eswatini.
- Advise and support the National Director and Senior Leadership Team as required, and country office at large on effective engagement with media and publics especially during crises of potential or actual risk to organizational reputation.
- Oversee World Vision Eswatini’s communications planning and roll-outs of country office interdepartmental plans, annual strategies and capacity-building of key staff that is aligned with country office communications requirements and needs.
- Lead the process of continuous learning on appropriate communications systems and tools, as appropriate to the context of World Vision Eswatini.
- Encourage mutual learning on communications best practices between departments / clusters / regions at World Vision Eswatini
- Lead World Vision Eswatini’s Communications team on professional development, as their line manager
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with external stakeholders such as media, donors, UN, policy makers, coalition and other partners and audiences to enhance World Vision Eswatini’s credibility and influence in the promotion of children’s rights.
- WV annual reports are issued to external stakeholders to maintain accountability and transparency
- Lead on protecting the World Vision brand and management of reputational risks
Capacity Building & Quality Assurance
- Coordinate the assessment, development and implementation of an integrated capacity-building plan based on World Vision Eswatini’s communication priorities and strategy.
- In collaboration with Regional Communications, establish appropriate standards for World Vision Eswatini’s communications.
- Lead World Vision Eswatini in ensuring adherence to communications policies, protocols, standards and current branding guidelines and elements of World Vision.
Operational & Technical
- Operationalize Global Communications policies, guidelines and standards of importance and relevancy to World Vision Eswatini.
- Coordinate and support World Vision Eswatini’s communications (both print and electronic publications and communications resources).
- Lead the implementation of WVE Advocacy campaigns including It Takes Eswatini to end Sexual Violence Against Children campaign.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understanding of transformational development and ability to translate technical language into language that is easily understandable by technical groups – required
- Experience developing successful communications, advocacy, or public relations campaigns and strategies for an NGO or International organization highly preferred
- Excellent communication and public relations skills with strong English language capability (written and oral) and ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and principles required
- Experience with personal computing, email and general office productivity software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite) required
- Experience writing / producing content for international audiences highly preferred
- English writing experience with a news agency, marketing organization, NGO or International organization preferred
- Technical experience with video and still photography preferred
- A committed Christian with a high level of cross-cultural interpersonal skills, personal maturity, integrity and proven ability to influence multiple stakeholders
- An energetic, creative, smart, and innovative thinker with a heart and passion for children’s issues Ability to handle multiple responsibilities at the same time preferred
- Must be available for significant travel time to field / project sites
Minimum education, training and experience requirements to qualify for the position
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication, Marketing, Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, or any other field relevant to this role. Master’s Degree strongly preferred.
- At least 5 years’ professional communications experience within the context of the humanitarian sector – at the UN, an International NGO or related organization.
- At least five years’ English-writing and editing experience, with either a local or international news agency, marketing organization, UN Agency or INGO.
- Strong people and resource management experience.
- At least three years’ experience developing and/or overseeing key communications tools, including still photography, story-writing, case study writing, and videography, acquired from either formal or on-the job training.
- Sound understanding of child rights issues in the context of Eswatini, Regionally and Internationally.
- Sound understanding of transformational and community development, with the ability to translate technical information to a language easily understood by donors and partners.
- Reputational risk communications experience in the humanitarian sector preferred.
- Experience hosting or working with international groups of donors or visitors highly preferred. Skilled in personal computing, email, and general office productivity software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite) and other programmes for uploading and downloading information.
Additional work experience required as a minimum qualification for this position.
- Minimum of three years’ cross-cultural interpersonal skills and experience.
- Experience developing effective communications / public relations strategies for an NGO, UN Agency or International organization highly preferred. License, registration, or certification required to perform this position: If applicable, include language requirement(s) as a minimum qualification for this position.
- Knowledge of written and spoken English and Siswati, and ability to engage community members comfortably and interpret their thoughts to visiting donors/supporters/filming crews/church partners, etc.
- Excellent communication and public relations skills with strong English language capability (written and oral), and ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and principles.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Experience in story-writing, photography and videography.
- Management experience.
Reputational risk experience in the humanitarian/development sector
- Advocacy campaign management experience.
- Previous work with an International NGO, UN Agency, Media office or within the humanitarian/development sector
- Previous work writing and developing content for international audiences
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities at the same time.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time. This is mostly domestic travel.
CLICK ON THIS LINK TO APPLY: