This position reports to the Environmental Health Manager, and it will be responsible for ensuring the provision of environmental health services to Nhlangano community according to the relevant legislations.
The Key responsibilities of the Environmental Health Officer will be, but not limited to:
- Conducts routine operational inspections of public and private sector workplaces and the environment to ensure compliance with relevant legislation or guidelines.
- Reports & recommends to Environmental Health Manager for the issuance of contravention notices for major non-conformances.
- Undertakes inspections and checks of premises, persons & processes for the issuance of health clearance certificates.
- Coordination of informal trade within council’s jurisdiction.
- Reviews new development proposals to ensure design comply with relevant legislations and regulations within the urban boundary.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with current legislation in the transportation, handling and disposal of healthcare waste.
- Undertakes food inspections, confiscates and dispose food items not fit for human consumption in line with set guidelines & compiles reports for such.
- Enforces Nuisance abatement and public health and sanitation regulations.
- Assists in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual Environment Health department reports.
- Assists in civic education including the private sector on relevant environmental Health requirements.
- Promotes general Public Health to ensure prevention of Environmental Health related diseases and condition
Qualifications, Experience and other Attributes
- In Environmental Health Science or equivalent qualification.
- 3 years relevant experience working in a similar position or Health Inspector.
- Computer literacy, Planning & Organizing, Communication, Report writing and Presentation skills.
- Clean Light Duty Driver’s license.
Terms and Conditions
- Fixed term performance based contract
- Competitive salary