JOB TITLE: SURVEILLANCE OFFICER
REPORTS TO: SENIOR EPIDEMIOLOGIST, EDCU
OVERALL JOB FUNCTION: ICAP-Eswatini in partnership with the Ministry of Health and with funding from the United States Government is engaged in partnerships to strengthen epidemiology and surveillance capacity in the country. This includes health systems strengthening support to the Epidemiology Disease Control_ Unit (EDCU). A Surveillance Officer is sought to support implementation of the EDCU objectives including strengthening disease surveillance systems through implementation of Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR), International Health Regulations (1HR) and Global Health Security Agenda (GSHA).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support EDCU review and revise technical guidelines including strategic plan, IDSR technical guidelines, case definitions, road map, roles and responsibilities and Epi-bulletin SOPs
- Support development of training materials for pre-service and in-service health care workers on IDSR
- Coordinate and conduct trainings including trainer of trainers on IDSR to promote utilization of the IDSR approach.
- Coordinate the implementation of IDSR activities including monitoring and mentoring at regional, health facility and community level.
- Ensure logistical support to EDCU to conduct site visits to evaluate IDSR implementation.
- Support Epi-bulletins reporting indicators to reflect current epidemics and ensure timely production and dissemination of surveillance data through production of weekly and monthly epidemiologic bulletins.
- Support EDCU coordinate IDSR activities including Epi TWGs, RETF and NETF meetings ensuring logistical support including development of agenda, invitation of participants and minute taking.
- Participate in diseases surveillance concept or protocol development including case-based surveillance based International Health Regulations (IHR) and Global Health Security (GSHA).
- Regular reporting on surveillance activities including preparation of minutes and, monthly reporting.
- Prepare updates for the EDCU senior management on IDSR supported activities.
- Support EDCU development of transition workplan to ensure sustainability of CoAg supported activities. • Any other duties as assigned.
Degree in Public Health/Epidemiology, Nursing, Environmental Health, Statistics, or any other related field. A Post-graduate training will be an advantage.
- Candidate must hold a degree in a health-related field, a postgraduate degree an advantage.
- At least 2 years of research experience, experience with surveillance, health facilities or data systems an advantage.
- Ability to perform data analysis and interpretation will an added advantage
- Demonstrated exposure to ethical review processes, and research implementation.
- Proficiency in statistical packages e.g. Microsoft Excel. STATA, SPSS, Epi info, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented and highly organized, able to multi-task
JOB TITLE: RESEARCH OFFICER
REPORTS TO: NHRID MANAGER
LOCATION: MBABANE, ESWATINI
OVERVIEW: ICAP- Eswatini, in partnership with the Ministry of Health, and with funding from the United States Government is engaged in various partnerships to strengthen epidemiology and research in the country. This includes health systems strengthening support to the Ministry of Health (MoH) Health Research and Innovation Department (NHRID).
OVERALL JOB FUNCTION:
Working with the NHRID manager. the Research Officer will be responsible for supporting planning, implementation, coordination, and monitoring of health systems strengthening (HSS) activities implemented under the Ministry of Health National Health Research and Innovation Department.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop training materials and conduct health research related trainings.
- Participate in research dissemination activities.
- Support the NHRID to prepare for Health Research Conferences
- Organize and coordinate health research conference planning meetings and document meetings outcome
- Develop abstract selection methodologies and maintain records of submitted and approved abstracts.
- Leveraging on Health Research Training Program training materials the Research Officer will coordinate and conduct health research trainings for researchers focusing on pre and post abstract submission
- Track all communication relevant to portfolio, create and maintain archive an archive of all relevant documentation (electronic and hard copies).
- Review guiding documents e.g. Strategic plan and National Health Research agenda
- Support NHRID to produce bi-annual Health Research Newsletter for research dissemination.
- Conduct health research capacity building trainings and initiatives, focusing on research methods, scientific writing, and data dissemination.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Candidate must hold a degree preferably in Epidemiology, Public Health, or a health-related discipline. • An advanced degree will be an added advantage.
- At least 2-3 years of research experience, experience with health systems, health facilities or data systems.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite Applications
- Must be attentive to detail and conscientious about timeliness of activities and deadlines.
- Strong problem-solving skills and analytical capabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible and adaptable and able to multi-task effectively.
- Fluency in Siswati and English
- How to Apply Interested applicants should send their application and resumes named after their surnames by email with a subject line of the position you are applying for e.g. Research Officer to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing date for applications to be submitted: Tuesday 31 January 2023 at 17:OOpm.
Please do not attach any certificates when submitting online.
Only short listed applicants will be contacted. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you don’t hear from us 3 weeks after the closing date.