JOB SUMMARY: Describe the Purpose of your Job in 2-3 Sentences. (What and how do you do and why do you do it?)
The role of this position is to protect the trademarks of The Coca-Cola Company by assuring the quality of ingredients and concentrate parts which are used in company products worldwide. The main activities are to analyze ingredient, in-process and final concentrate samples against established specifications, review results and make the decision to approve or reject.
Work is performed through the application of a body of knowledge related to standard laboratory methods, practices, procedures, policies, regulations and laboratory materials and instrumentation.
Ability to evaluate information to determine compliance with regulations, specifications or standards is essential.
C. KEY DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
Briefly describe the primary duties/responsibilities of your job in 5-8 bullet points. Please list these duties in order of importance and include the percentage of time spent or required for each activity.
· Testing materials using chemical analysis (NIR, UV Vis, HPLC, GC, IC, Density, Brix, pH, viscosity, etc), sensory evaluation and microbiological testing.
· Interpret data from analyses to validate that the materials meet The Coca-Cola Company specifications and approve for use in production or shipment to customers.
· Work to ISO17025 / KORE requirements for training, documentation, instrumentation control / maintenance, conduct audits, follow procedures and Managing the Document Management Program at Conco through ETQ.
· Maintain and update SAP to control use and release of materials
· Maintain laboratory equipment and instrumentation (e.g., troubleshooting, conducting preventative maintenance, calibrating and repairing).
· Active participation in Laboratory Roles e.g. safety team, IATA trained for shipment of samples, liaise with external laboratories, management of Proficiency Testing Programs, control of non-conforming material, Continuous Improvement, etc.
· Participate in team projects, interdepartmental groups or company-wide initiatives in order to share information or represent Coca Cola Swaziland Laboratory.
- Ensure compliance with Occupational & Environmental safety, Food safety and all applicable standards and legal aspects around area of responsibility.
- Ensure that the work is done in full compliance to the Lab Quality manual (emphasis on section 5.2)
· Ensure adherence to training according to VSM & development plans.
Environmental Management, Occupational Health & Safety, and Food Safety & Quality
- Cooperate and follow instructions given by the employer (CCS Leadership Team) , Commissioner of Labour, Inspector or any other person lawfully authorized to give such instructions in keeping the working conditions safe and without risk to health and injury in the field of that activity.
- Must ensure compliance to Food safety standards by behaving in a manner that will protect food from contamination; including timely reporting of incidents that may compromise them.
- Use, any means, appliance, equipment or other safety devise for securing safety and health as provided by the employer (CCS Leadership Team) for use and protection of the employee or property in any process an per the instructions given by the employer or any person lawfully authorized to do so.
- Report to the employer (CCS Leadership Team) any situation as soon as it becomes unsafe or unhealthy, or where an accident occurs report such accident to the employer or supervisor
- Ensure adherence to Environmental management, occupational health and safety, Food safety and quality procedures, work instructions, and work aids and not compromise the environment, occupational health and safety, food safety and quality.
Report all environmental, occupational health and safety, food safety and quality related incidents to their immediate supervisor without delay.
D. FINANCIAL/ JOB SCOPE: Identify quantitative factors for your job, such as volume, annual budget, customer contacts (e.g., # of bottlers, customers, etc.), and other major indicators of the scope and complexity of your job.
· Analysis of ingredients and final products in support of the Coca Cola Swaziland manufacturing plant.
E. ORGANIZATION IMPACT/ INFLUENCE: Indicate the nature and level of your contacts within and outside the Company, as well as the nature and purpose of the interaction.
· Daily contact with Warehouse, Planning, Production, Customer Service and other QA functions
· Laboratory Associates from other CPS plants
· Work with Global SAP Power Users
· Work with BU Quality on issues
· Drive improvements working with CPS, R&I
F. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: List the number, if any, and type (full-time, part-time, contract) of your direct reports; indicate the extent of your involvement in supervision including hiring, conducting performance reviews, and terminations as well as team leadership, coordination of work assignments and other indirect supervision. Please attach a copy of your current organization chart, if available.
· From time to time may lead a project.
G. RELATED JOB REQUIREMENTS/ QUALIFICATIONS: List the competencies needed to successfully perform your job, including the number of years and type of previous work experience, technical skills and language (s) required. Please do not describe your own skills and experience, rather it should be the minimum amount required to perform the job.
· Ability to handle laboratory instrumentation and samples
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Computer literacy (Excel and Word), SAP is an advantage
· Maintain technical records and prepare reports
· Knowledge of ISO17025
· Analytical Decision Making
· Problem Solving Skills
H. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Indicate the minimum education level required to perform the job.
· Technical qualification in science, typically a Diploma / Degree in Analytical Chemistry or Food Science.
· 1-2 years of experience in a Laboratory at a high volume manufacturing environment an advantage.
I. CULTURAL DIVERSITY: Please describe any language, ethnic or culture differences you face in your job. List any supervisory or Company spokesperson responsibilities you may have
· Contact with Global CPS, R&D, Global Quality Laboratories, Customers and suppliers from a variety of countries / continents.
J. ANALYSIS: Describe the types of problems you must solve to successfully perform your job. Is the process well defined, or must you develop new approaches to solve these problems?
· Interpretation of results, SPC, Controls, instrumentation software
· Actions required if an out of specification result is obtained
· Hold production if an in-process result is out of specification
· Resolving paperwork issues e.g. certification of analysis
· Interpretation of databases for specifications, methods and standards
K. JUDGEMENT AND DECISION MAKING: Describe the nature and impact of decisions required in your job. Distinguish between recommendations you make to someone else and decisions where you have final authority. Indicate your involvement (if any) with ABP and OBP development and execution.
Release ingredients and final products within specification
L. WORKING CONDITIONS: Describe the risk of exposure to hazards in performing your job, and the types of hazards you face.
Hazards and risks associated with working in a laboratory with exposure to hazardous chemicals.
M. TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Indicate the annual percent of time that your job requires overnight travel or day trips. Please include the nature and geographic scope of your travel requirements
Possibility to spend 5% travelling for meetings, training, CPS Plants visits, customer / supplier visits and bench marking
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Please provide any additional information that you did not include in any of the above sections that would aid in ensuring that this job description represents an accurate and complete picture of the job.
All Coca Cola Swaziland Laboratory Staff must be fully trained in two areas within three years of start date.
All operate, adjust, maintain and understand the software on all laboratory instrumentation in an area before they are considered fully trained.
All must have a strong science background
All are fully responsible for release of ingredients or concentrate parts without supervision.
Our Purpose and Growth Culture:
We are taking deliberate action to nurture an inclusive culture that is grounded in our company purpose, to refresh the world and make a difference. We act with a growth mindset, take an expansive approach to what’s possible and believe in continuous learning to improve our business and ourselves. We focus on four key behaviors – curious, empowered, inclusive and agile – and value how we work as much as what we achieve. We believe that our culture is one of the reasons our company continues to thrive after 130+ years. Visit Our Purpose and Vision to learn more about these behaviors and how you can bring them to life in your next role at Coca-Cola.