PSI/Eswatini, a member of the PSI global network, aims to improve the health of the people of Eswatini. PSI/Eswatini seeks to recruit for the following position. This position is contingent on funding. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Job title: M&E Manager
Department: Strategic Information
Based in Mbabane, Eswatini
Reports to the Strategic Information Director
Direct reports M&E Coordinator, M&E Officer
Commitment: Full time
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI)
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading U.S. based non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job. We have many PSIers who have been with PSI for many years and have built a lasting career with us!
PSI/ES is a network member of PSI, a nonprofit company registered locally under the laws of Eswatini that has been implementing health programs since 2001. Fully committed to measurable health impact, PSI/Eswatini works in close cooperation with government, partners in the public and private sectors and local civil society to deliver high quality health programs reaching vulnerable populations with needed health prevention services, products and information. The organization is currently implementing HIV prevention programs including community-based HIV testing services, linkages to care and treatment, treatment initiation, voluntary medical male circumcision, non-communicable diseases (NCD) screening, diagnosis and treatment; and condom promotion and distribution, employing both fixed site and mobile outreach models. All services are accompanied by social behavior change communication messaging.
This position requires an enthusiastic, energetic, and committed individual with an interest in continuing a career in the NGO sector for the position of M&E Manager within PSI Eswatini team. The overall function of the M&E Manager is to oversee the data management, collection, analysis, reporting processes and use for PSI Eswatini. The incumbent will also lead data quality assessments and capacity building for PSI programs and M&E staff. S/he will also be responsible for stakeholder engagement and networking through participating in technical working groups and strengthening relations with MOH and donors.
Sound like you? Read on.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead the development/revision of M&E systems; guidelines, tools, SOPs, M&E plans incl. log frames, annual workplans and budgets for effective monitoring of all PSI health area interventions
- Assist the Strategic Information (SI) Director and work with the IT/IS Manager in the design and routine maintenance of electronic databases for PSI programmes
- Conducts and or facilitates M&E systems assessments by external assessors in accordance with PSI Global M&E Framework
- In close collaboration with the SI Director, develop and lead PSI/Es level key performance programmatic indicators in line with PSI Global Performance Metrics (AOB)
- Ensures that results of M&E systems assessments are implemented in a timely manner
- Lead the review and implementation of data safeguards for protecting personally identifiable information in accordance with national and PSI Consumer Data Protection Policy (CDPP)
- In collaboration with the program staff, develop project level monitoring and evaluation plans in line with PSI Global M&E Framework and in compliance with donor requirements
- Assist program staff in developing appropriate and relevant output and outcome indicators and targets in accordance with PSI, donor, and national M&E guidelines
- Works with the programs teams to ensure effective monitoring of indicator targets using existing M&E frameworks & workplans
- Undertake periodic monitoring of all program indicators and conduct technical support visits to field activities
- Conduct monitoring site support supervision visits to strengthen implementation of M&E SOPs and guidelines including data safeguards for protecting personally identifiable information
DATA ANALYSIS AND USE
- Collect, collate, and analyse all program and research data routinely and produce monthly program performance dashboards for program review
- Develop tools and approaches to promote the use of evidence for decision making across all PSI programs
- Lead PSI quarterly and annual program reviews including preparation of power points (PPT) presentations
- In collaboration with the Data Analyst, develop and implement data analysis and use workplans to strengthen data analysis and use across all PSI programs
DATA QUALITY ASSESSMENTS
- Leads the implementation of internal routine data quality assessments in accordance with annual DQA plan
- Prepared routine data quality assessment reports and improvement plans for sharing with program teams, the donor, MoH and PSI as applicable
- Participate in external data quality audits conducted by MoH and donors
- Monitor timeous implementation of data quality improvement plans and SIMS recommended action points to strengthen data quality
- Ensures that routine data quality checks are carried out by Regional M&E Coordinators and M&E officers on a routine basis
- Provide technical support to program staff to strengthen data quality
- Assist the SI Director to report on Rapid Data Quality Assessment results to PSI, donors, MOH and other stakeholders
M&E CAPACITY BUILDING
- Develop and manage implementation of a capacity building plan based on gaps identified through site support visits, RDQAs and SIMS
- Build the M&E capacity of PSI program and M&E staff in data collection, processing, analysis, reporting, evidence use to enhance program performance
- Train and orient staff on data collection tools (electronic and paper), M&E SOPs and guidelines, and data quality
- Train staff on data safeguards for personally identifiable information to ensure compliance with national and PSI Consumer Data Protection Policy (CDPP
- Ensure the completion of monthly, quarterly, semi and annual donors progress reports, MoH and PSI health services report, Closing the Loop (CTL) report
- Oversees data entry into DATIM, and PSI DHIS2 as well as running validation rules and other data quality checks before data is reported
- Assist the IT/IS Manager in the development of GIS maps and production of periodic geospatial reports of service coverage across PSI projects and interventions
- Contribute to PSI organisational learning by preparing dissemination data, lessons learnt, good practices and statistical, qualitative, and anecdotal evidence generated across different PSI programmes activities
- Working together with the Data Analyst, provide input into program evaluations and other studies
- Line management and supervision of M&E Coordinators and M&E Officers to ensure effective monitoring of project activities.
- Ensures that all staff members reporting to him/her have MBOs that are tracked on monthly basis
- Conducts semi-annual and annual performance reviews of staff
STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT AND NETWORKING
- Initiate and arrange regular internal M&E meetings to discuss progress in implementation of M&E monitoring activities
- Participates in M&E related technical working groups, maintain effective relations with MOH, donors and represent PSI interests at workshops, conferences, and meetings
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as assigned by the SI Director
- Post graduate degree in Biostatistics, Social Sciences, Public Health, Demography, or any other relevant field and 5 years working experience in M&E for international development partners implementing health projects OR
- BA, or BSc in Social Science, Statistics or any related field and 7 years working experience in M&E for international development partners implementing health projects
- An M&E qualification from a recognized institution is an added advantage.
- Familiarity with donor M&E guidelines, procedures, and requirements
- Experience with M&E systems strengthening, program/project design, program and health related data management and monitoring in international organizational settings.
- Familiarity with reporting systems such as Demographic Health Information System (DHIS2) and DATIM and preparing donor reports
- Experience managing, supervising, and leading diverse M&E staff.
- Demonstrated experience in developing M&E work plans and budgets for M&E activities, M&E capacity building.
- Experience in health service research, including the design of research surveys, protocols, and implementation
- Experience in analyzing big data (both research and routine data) using innovative statistical approaches
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Skills in data analysis with demonstrated computer skills and experience with Excel, Access.
- Proficient knowledge in SPSS and/or STATA is an added advantage
- Strong Interpersonal communication skills
- Energetic and Proactive
- Effective time management
- Ability to work as a team with external partners
- Initiative and Self Development
- Ability to communicate data concepts to non-experts
- Mentoring and Coaching skills
- High standard of ethics
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
Application letters and curriculum vitae must be sent via email to email@example.com no later than 21st November citing the position applied for, Name and Surname in the email subject. No calls, please, No posted or hand delivered applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.