Office Location: Eswatini
Pact is implementing a USAID-funded project entitled Eswatini Ready, Resourceful, Risk Aware locally known as (InsikayaKusasa). The objective of the project is to prevent new HIV infections and reduce vulnerability among orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), adolescent girls (AG) and young women (YW) in Eswatini. The project will result in mitigation of the impact of HIV reduction in new HIV infections, and improved HIV clinical outcomes for the above target groups. This position is based in Mbabane.
Pact seeks a Prevention Technical Leadto support the Pact Eswatini’s effectiveness at reducing new HIV infections through increased adoption of high impact HIV services and protective behaviors among at-risk populations, using evidence-based and locally owned solutions and in close partnership with a range of local Swazi organizations and institutions.
The HIV Prevention Technical Lead will provide technical leadership to ensure high-quality, evidence-based HIV prevention programming and service delivery. The HIV Prevention Technical Lead will inform Pact Eswatini on social and structural change approaches to HIV prevention in high-prevalence settings, as well as appropriate combination prevention and youth livelihoods strategies and interventions. To this end, the HIV Prevention Technical Lead will have expertise in prevention activities for adolescents and youth, new prevention technologies, evidence-based implementation theory and methodologies, and effective social and behavioral change communication (SBCC), and biomedical approaches to HIV prevention in Eswatini. The HIV Prevention Technical Lead will coordinate closely with the OVC Technical Lead, Strategic Information Lead and Clinical Lead to ensure that Pact Eswatini’sCSO partners have the capacity to deliver evidence-based, high quality interventions. The HIV Prevention Technical Lead will also manage key technical sub-contractors under the prevention portfolio and support the transition of local partners to become USAID prime award recipients.
- Provide technical leadership in developing strategies and interventions to improve the quality and responsiveness of HIV prevention programming (with a focus on vulnerable adolescents and youth), including SBCC and bio-medical approaches to HIV_ prevention in Eswatini (addressing gender roles and cultural norms, behavior change associated with pregnancy prevention, clinical services uptake, multiple concurrent partners, inter generational relationships, and early sexual debut).
- Monitor implementation of HIV prevention and youth livelihoods interventions and provide oversight to CSO implementation plans and budgets.
- Provide technical assistance and mentorship to CSOs and facilitate technical capacity assessments in efficacious, evidence-based HIV prevention among CSO partners in order to identify gaps, technical capacity limitations, and priority technical
- Oversee the development, implementation, and monitoring of HIV prevention and youth livelihoods quality improvement activities.
- Monitor and report on HIV prevention quality assessment, improvement, and assurance activities and monitor the latest advancements in HIV STI, and pregnancy prevention efforts in Eswatini.
- Facilitate problem solving and action planning among CSO to address critical challenges and barriers to improving HIV prevention and youth livelihoods programming and service delivery
- Contribute to program research and learning agendas related to HIV prevention and support the analysis, interpretation, and use of HIV prevention data to inform decision-making and programmatic adjustments.
- Represent Pact in national forums relevant to the technical portfolio of the position.
- Oversee communications/program material development for SBCC, IEC, VMMC and Family Planning for adolescent and youth audiences.
- Supervision of key technical staff under the HIV prevention and youth livelihoods technical areas.
- Perform any other prevention duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Master’s degree in Public Health (with a focus on HIV/AIDS), Social Sciences, or related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience managing and providing technical leadership in evidenced-based HIV prevention and service delivery programming including SBCC as well as combination prevention, bio-medical approaches and/or youth livelihoods.
- Experience working with vulnerable adolescent and youth populations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the health context and structural issues in Eswatini and/or Southern Africa including socioeconomic, institutional and policy issues that are related to essential services in HIV prevention, and adolescent health.
- Demonstrated leadership and technical skills in HIV prevention, applying new prevention technologies, and utilizing effective health promotion approaches.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating HIV prevention quality improvement with CSOs and Government entities at all levels.
- Demonstrated experience in the design and use of training curricula.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in HIV prevention and SBCC activity design and implementation.
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in written/spoken English required.
- Familiarity with Swazi public health sector system, NGOs, and CBOs is highly desirable.
- Local candidates highly encouraged to apply.
- Fluency in siSwati is preferred.
Qualifying candidates with relevant experience and qualifications are invited to submit their applications via email including a resume, cover letter, references, and salary history to: email@example.com.
Please be advised that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The deadline is December 05, 2019.
For more than a decade, Pact has been working to help turn the tide against HIV and AIDS in Eswatini (formerly Swaziland), where the epidemic has taken an especially heavy toll.
Steadily, this tiny African kingdom is making progress. Pact’s efforts in Eswatini are among interventions that have contributed to a dramatic reduction in new HIV infections here.