REPORT TO: SENIOR PROGRAM OFFICER
Summary of the Job
The Traditional Leaders Program Officer will be responsible for strengthening the capacity of traditional leaders to lead the HIV response. This will be achieved through skills building and working with leaders to utilize data for decision making and increase uptake of HIV services including treatment and retention (especially among men). Other priorities include reduction of gender-based violence and changing gender norms to support adolescent girls and young women. He/she will proactively collaborate with NERCHA, MTAD and MOH at all levels, community health workers, traditional leaders, and other relevant forums with the view of strengthening leaders and community structures, promoting men’s health, increasing service uptake among men and creating protective environments for adolescent girls and young women.
• Build the skills of community leaders to lead the HIV response through sensitization, mentoring and coaching at chiefdom, cluster and Inkhundla level
• Ensure community leaders develop and implement community HIV action plans and build their capacity to carry out activities
• Support leaders in implementation of the community block grants and their ability to manage the activities
• Provide on-going mentoring to community leaders in partnership with M&E officers at chiefdom and Inkhundla levels on data utilization for informed decision making for HIV prevention
• Facilitate community dialogues with inner council members on gender norms and gender-based violence
• Support and mentor community cadre such as mobilizers and expert clients to carry out their duties, ensuring they have the tools and skills to complete their job
• Support community leaders to develop gender norms and gender-based violence rules and regulations
• Facilitate communication with decision-makers and community leaders in line with existing community coordination structures in order to plan, implement and monitor community led SBCC activities for men.
• Facilitate linkages and referrals to support community-led activities on HIV prevention; coordinate with other implementing partners to ensure services are available to men who are mobilized
• Prepare requisitions for all program activities including supporting development of chiefdom requisitions under the block grants.
• Work closely with the M&E officer and community to ensure data is collected and captured in CDAP
• Review chiefdom dashboards regularly to ensure they are complete and data is up to date in CDAP, working closely with the M&E officer to remedy any missing or incorrect data in a timely manner
• Promote treatment and retention, providing an encouraging and supportive environment to people living with HIV to begin ART and adhere
• Identify and document success stories through pictures and writing.
• Ensure safe guarding of organizations resources and assets as per JHU and USAID/PEPFAR operational guidelines
• Prepare program and activity reports on a monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual basis as per USAID template and guidelines.
skills and Competencies
• A highly motivated self-starter with the ability to remain focused and productive with minimal supervision
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact with different audiences in a mature and professional manner
• Excellent facilitation skills and proven experience with participatory techniques in the context of community engagement
• Must be able to speak and write in both English and SiSwati
• Knowledge of the traditional structure and systems, as well as experience with working with them and community development structures
• Familiarity with the national HIV and AIDS Strategic Framework
• Experience in Data Collection and Management
• Understanding of Social and Behavior Change Communication
• Familiarity with HIV and AIDS Multisectoral Coordination Framework
• A Degree in Social Science, Community Development, Community Health or equivalent
• Formal training in HIV
• Minimum 3 -5 years’ experience working with communities.
Interested applicants are required to submit their application letter and resume by email to email@example.com no later than 31st January 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted