REPORTS TO :Senior Laboratory Advisory
LOCATION: Mbabane, Eswatini
OVERALL JOB FUNCTION
The Recency Laboratory Quality Officer will provide technical support to the quality unit of the Eswatini Health Laboratory Services (EHLS), Ministry of Health in the production and distribution of Quality assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) materials, supportive supervision and monitoring of the performance of HIV testing service (HTS) sites in HIV recency testing in all sites across the country. The Recency Laboratory Quality Officer will conduct onsite assessment and observe the implementation of QA/QC performance of HTS sites on recency testing. In coordination with other External Quality assessment (EQA) activities of the quality unit of the EHLS, the Recency Laboratory Quality Officer is also responsible for panel production for biannual proficiency testing (PT) for Recency testing at all (HTS) sites. The Recency Laboratory Quality Officer will be responsible for the coordination of the distribution of EQA PT to reach all HIS sites in the country, coordination of receipt of testing results, grading and monitoring the performance, feedback provision, mentorship and onsite trainings. The lab advisor will also closely work and coordinate the activities with the Eswatini HIV recent infection surveillance project (EHRIS) lab manager.
- Develop a comprehensive list of HTS sites and quantify the annual needs of panels for the quality control (QC) and proficiency testing (PT) of the HIV rapid test for recent infection (RTRI)
- Develop SOPs and job aides for the production of Panels
- Prepare the required logistics for the production of panels
- Work closely with the blood bank in obtaining rejected blood specimen that can be used for the production of the QC/PT panels
- Regularly produce and archive the RTRI QC/PT panels
- Provide technical support in planning for distribution of QC/PT panels to all HTS sites
- Conduct supportive supervision and mentorship on the implementation of monthly QC materials and biannual PT scheme and use of recency surveillance tools
- Support development of site specific quality improvement plans based on identified gaps
- Work closely with the quality unit of the EHLS in the PT scheme feedback provision to specific HIS sites and compiling aggregated report
- Support the EHRIS team and the EHLS in conducting offsite and onsite trainings
- Provide technical support in conducting competency assessment of HIS counsellors
- Participate in EHRIS lab related review meetings and on the implementation of prioritized activities
- Executing other responsibilities as required
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences or related field.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND OTHER SKILLS:
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a clinical laboratory and preferably in a reference laboratory
- Experience of working as quality officiator
- Training in Laboratory Quality management system, and knowledge on SLMTA and SLIPTA
- Basic computing skills including Microsoft Excel are required
- Excellent interpersonal, management, and communication skills.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should logon to https://icapacity.icap.columbia.edu/en-us/listing/ and follow the instructions.
Closing date for applications to be submitted: Friday 24th January 2020 at 7:00pm.
Please do not attach any certificates when submitting on line. Only short listed applicants will be contacted with preference given to qualifying Swati nationals. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you don’t hear from us 3 weeks after the closing date.