PSI/Eswatini, a member of the PSI global network, aims to improve the health of the people of Eswatini. PSI/Eswatini seeks to recruit for the following position. This position is contingent on funding. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Job title; Social Behavior Change (SBC) Director
Department; Social Behavior Change
Based in; Mbabane, Eswatini
Reports to the; Country Representative
Direct reports; 4
Commitment; Full time
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI)
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading U.S. based non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job. We have many PSIers who have been with PSI for many years and have built a lasting career with us!
PSI/ES is a network member of PSI, nonprofit company, registered locally under the laws of Eswatini that has been implementing health programs for over two decades since 2001. Fully committed to measurable health impact, PSI/ESi works in close cooperation with government, partners in the public and private sectors and local civil society to deliver high quality health programs to reach vulnerable populations with needed prevention, services, products, and information. The organization is currently implementing evidence-based HIV prevention (VMMC, PrEP, Condom programs), testing, linkage, and treatment programs. PSI focuses on an intermediary role for condoms promotion and distribution employing both fixed site and mobile outreach models in close collaboration with Donors, MOH’s SRH, SNAP and HPU. PSI also implements integrated programs addressing several non-communicable diseases (NCD).
PSI provides technical assistance to the national COVID-19 response Risk Communication and Community Engagement (RCCE) technical working group and co-leads the public communication sub-group.
PSI is currently launching new initiatives to leverage its HIV and TB service sites to integrate vaccine delivery. The SBC Director will lead the strategy and rollout of a vaccine demand creation strategy.
All services that PSI presently offers are accompanied by social behavior change strategies including designing and delivery user-centered programs, promoting services and product, ensuring quality of care through improved provider behavior, and connecting demand with quality supply through clients’ preferred services and products.
The SBC Director will lead PSI eSwatini SBC department, strategy and programs. The director will provide strategic direction to the SBC team to achieve marketing and behavior-related program objectives. S/He will work closely with the Strategic Information (SI) Director, Adolescent and Youth (DREAMS) Director as well as Integrated HIV/SRH Director to develop and implement SBC strategies aimed at improving population-level health and meeting donor objectives. S/He will also work closely with the close collaboration with the Global Market Dynamics Advisor and SBC Senior Advisor to develop market shaping or behavior change plans for all PSI programs. The person in this role will assess, plan and execute SBC Department needs in close collaboration with the Deputy Country Representative.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Use a range of SBC disciplines, for example marketing, social and behaviour change communication, human centred design, and behavioral science, and leverage PSI’s Keystone Program Development Framework to develop marketing and behavior change strategies to maximize health impact, address program needs and reach donor targets
- Ensure appropriate use of behavioral theory in all programs across PSI/ES portfolio.
- Oversee research to inform SBC initiatives in collaboration with Research department
- Manage and review PSI brands and ensure compliance with key stakeholders
- Coordinate market development approaches across all PSI/Eswatini programs
- Conduct SBC trainings as needed for PSI/ES and government staff, ensuring current and state-of-the art capacity in SBC program delivery.
- Support Ministry of Health (MOH) with the stewardship of SBC across various programs that includes communication, demand creation and promotion of services.
- Lead program design, creative development, pre-testing, execution, monitoring and evaluation of all SBC and condom programs.
- Oversee production processes across all communication mediums, ensuring timely delivery and quality in presentation
- Oversee implementation of all SBC executions, including supporting supervision and program adaptation.
- Develop strategies for condom distribution to increase implementing partner distribution
- Work with key partners and stakeholders in condom distribution including PSI Network members
- Oversee the implementation of the condom distribution strategy ensuring targets are met.
- Provide strategic direction on the commercial condom partnership with PSI/SA
- Collaborate on the growth of the commercial condom strategy as per the Donors and MoH vision of success
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Adaptation
- Work closely with the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team to design strategies to continually monitor and adapt SBC and condom program and activities
- Work closely with the M&E team to design strategies to evaluate the impact of various marketing/SBC activities
- Prepare monitoring reports and quarterly Donor and PSI reports to donors and submit to Country Representative.
- Marketing Operation Budgeting
- Plan and manage departmental budget
- Work with Programs Director to ensure that all SBC and condom activities are implemented as per proposals
- Work with finance team to prepare budgets for all SBC activities across programs.
- Thought Leadership
- Develop regular case studies to be disseminated across global health community of practice
- Participate in PSI’s learning and sharing forums to share marketing/SBC work and achievements in eSwatini
- Represent PSI in key stakeholders meetings and report back meeting notes/actions.
- People management
- Lead a team of experts in marketing, communication, promotion, and community mobilization
- Minimum of 10 years of experience designing and managing social and behavior change programs, which may include Marketing, SBCC (Social Behavior Change Communication), behavioural science or a related discipline.
- A relevant degree in Public Health, Communications, Marketing Management, Psychology or Business Studies.
- Experience in supervising, managing, motivating, and retaining staff
- Knowledge of behavioral theory and various SBC processes, as well as their application in public health programs.
Familiarity with HIV-related health, prevention and sexual reproductive health Proven experience using evidence and market research to develop and design marketing programs
- Proven experience monitoring and evaluating social, and behavior change programs
- Experience representing organization in technical for a at local and regional levels.
- Experience leading and coordinating with stakeholder groups such as technical working groups, advisory boards.
- Demonstrated experience working with government staff at national and subnational levels
- Expertise in SBCC, marketing principles and strategy development, or behavioral science
- Strategic thinking and planning skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and writing skills
- Results oriented and solutions driven
- Ability to navigate the role in a fast-paced remote working environment with minimal direction. Desire to look for opportunities to contribute and don’t hesitate to jump in.
- Willingness to develop skills, to try new things, and to learn by doing.
- Proven leader and manager of teams thriving on helping your coworkers learn, grow, and build their skills.
- Ability to work independently and can also effectively communicate across diverse teams, organizations, and contexts.
- Fluency in English
PSI Core Values
- Measurement: Evidence, research, metrics and evaluation inform our choices.
- Pragmatism: We strive for excellence, but useful and timely are better than perfect.
- Honesty: We act with integrity, share what we achieve, and admit when we fail.
- Collaboration: Active partnering drives impact.
- Trust: We have confidence in our people to make good decisions.
- Commitment: We build local capacity and programs that last.
Application letters and curriculum vitae must be sent via email to email@example.com no later than 13th May 2022 citing the position applied for, Name and Surname in the email subject. No calls, please, No posted or hand delivered applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.